Creating a world where every action positively impacts nature. Restor is an open data platform rooted in science that enables everyone, everywhere to engage in the restoration movement. Ecological restoration has the potential to draw down ~30% of accumulated global carbon emissions and is a key to both local and global resilience. At Restor we believe all of us have an impact on the land: whether we are farmers or gardeners or run community forestry projects or manage pension funds with global investments. We also believe that when supported by the right tools, we can all take action to contribute to the sustainable use of the land we depend on. Through the power of science, data and local knowledge, Restor connects you to your land footprint and to the diverse community of actors restoring earth’s ecosystems. With over 140,000+ sites, Restor is the largest network of community led restoration and conservation sites across the globe. Restor was founded by the Crowther Lab, a global ecological research group at ETH Zurich, and co-developed with Google.
As a Kotlin Backend Developer at Restor, you will be part of a small team of senior backend and frontend developers. In an environment with the freedom to experiment and come up with your own ideas. You will be instrumental in designing and implementing robust backend services using Kotlin and Spring Boot.
The role responsibilities include:
– Design, develop, and maintain backend services using Kotlin and Spring Boot on Google Cloud Platform.
– Collaborate with front-end developers, product managers, and other stakeholders to deliver high-quality software solutions.
– Implement and maintain RESTful APIs to support both internal and external applications.
– Ensure the scalability, performance, and reliability of backend systems.
– Write clean, well-documented code and conduct code reviews to maintain high-quality standards.
– Troubleshoot and debug production issues, providing timely resolutions.
– Stay current with industry trends and best practices in Kotlin and Spring Boot development.
We’re looking for (need to haves):
– Proven experience as a Kotlin Backend Developer, with a focus on Spring Boot
– Seasoned Java developers with a keen interest in learning and mastering – Kotlin are encouraged to apply as well
– Strong understanding of RESTful API design principles
– Experience with databases (PostgreSQL)
– Familiarity with cloud environments (preferably Google Cloud Platform)
– Ability to work collaboratively in an agile development environment
– Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
We’re looking for (nice to haves):
– Experience with Kafka, Webflux, Terraform
– Experience with event driven architectures and event sourcing
– Experienced working with GIS data
– Experience in the restoration, ecology, or agroforestry space
A note: research indicates that women and individuals from marginalised groups tend to apply only when they meet all of the criteria. If you believe you’re qualified, but don’t necessarily check every box, please submit an application.
Does this role sound exciting to you? Let’s chat! Send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only applications received via email will be considered. Please include your name and “Backend Developer” in the subject line.
At Restor, we believe our team is strongest when we bring a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We’re an equal opportunity employer and don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.