Who we are
We, Beyond Fossil Fuels (BFF), are an alliance of passionate civil society groups committed to transforming the European energy sector. We strive for a just transition to a fossil-free, fully renewables-based energy system that protects people, nature, and our planet. As an independent campaign, we are driven by a fierce dedication to ending our reliance on coal by 2030 and fossil gas by 2035 with a focus on the power sector. With your help, we can create a brighter, cleaner, and more equitable future for all.
This campaign is supported by a BFF secretariat, consisting of 25 people and spread across Europe.
We are looking for a new Communications Director, who is part of the BFF secretariat’s executive team, and has the overall responsibility for the development and implementation of the campaign communications strategy.
Position: Communications Director
Earliest start date: January 2024
Employment type: staff or consultant
Location: Remote working from a European location, or from our office in Berlin.
Please note that we do not have the resources to relocate candidates to Europe from outside the continent.
As our Communications Director, you will be responsible for:
– Overseeing the creation and updating of BFF communications strategies, core messaging, and audiences, in coordination with relevant campaigners, working groups, and NGO partners;
– Ensuring BFF partner organisations and national campaigns are engaged in the development and delivery of the comms elements of the campaign;
– Contributing to relevant cross-network strategic communication exchanges;
– Managing the BFF brand, including its visual identity;
– Preparing and presenting a summary of the achievements, challenges and gaps of BFF to campaign governance bodies and funders;
– Overseeing media and digital monitoring to evaluate the campaign’s effectiveness;
– Signing off planned and reactive communications materials;
– Overseeing the development and implementation of digital efforts and strategies;
– Securing the BFF secretariat and coalition’s planning and delivery of high quality and impactful strategic comms interventions across Europe;
Defining roles, tasks, and responsibilities within the (currently seven-person) comms team of the BFF secretariat;
– Coordinating and leading the Secretariat’s comms team and line-managing the Senior Communications Manager, the Digital Engagement Officer and the Content Creator.
Required skills & experience
– At least ten years of experience in a senior communications position, five of which were in the non-profit sector
– A minimum five years’ experience in leading comms work for a climate or energy campaign in a European country or a region in Europe
– At least five years’ experience in developing and delivering complex communications strategies involving multiple stakeholders
– At least three years of line-management experience
Experience in leading and coordinating small teams
– Knowledge of the global climate crisis, its causes and impacts
– Solid knowledge of the energy sector, including understanding of different fossil fuels, renewable energy sources, energy savings and the power sector
– Demonstrable understanding of the media and the digital sphere, how to create media interest and digital engagement, how to do compelling outreach, and how to manage branded and unbranded communications
– Strong understanding of political context of different sub-regions and countries in Europe, and the implications for campaigning in different contexts
– Strategic thinking which can be applied to prioritising and maximising overall campaign impact
– Significant experience in developing brands and campaign visual and creative materials
– Ability to build common cause and reach agreements among multi-organisational teams
– Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills; ability to engage and connect with a broad range of people, work as part of a diverse team, and motivate others
– Confident working remotely with colleagues from different countries, cultures and backgrounds
– Excellent spoken and written English, editing and proofreading skills
– Highly organised, able to balance multiple priorities
– Proficiency in using Google tools (docs, slides, calendar, etc.)
– Able to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
– Passionate about a healthy, environmentally friendly and fair society.
Desirable skills & experience
– Ability to identify NGO needs and roles
– Knowledge of other European languages is a plus.
How we support our team
– We offer competitive compensation packages tailored to each region.
– Flexible work policy: We empower our team to work when and where they are most productive with our flexible work policy.
– Flexible holiday policy: You choose your own public holidays based on preference or culture.
– Training budget: We have a dedicated training budget for each team member.
– Team building: We prioritise building connections with an annual team retreat.
– Feedback: We foster a culture of growth with regular performance reviews and feedback.
– Commuting and home working: We make work easier by covering commuting costs in Berlin and providing support for remote work in other European locations.
We believe that creating a welcoming and inclusive environment is critical to our success, and we welcome team members from all backgrounds. At Beyond Fossil Fuels, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential components of our success, and we are dedicated to building a culture that reflects these values.
If you want to know more about Beyond Fossil Fuels visit our website beyondfossilfuels.org!