About the job:
In the coming period Bellona will be undergoing an organisational change to facilitate increased impact and optimised internal process flow. This will require dedicated senior staff across our offices to implement an organisational development plan, also focusing on digital transformation. The Deputy Director Operations will work closely with the global Chief Operating Officer as well as relevant in-country management to oversee and support the rollout in the Berlin and Brussels offices.
Further, we are looking for a Deputy Director Operations to oversee daily activities across functions such as grant and project deliverables, digitalisation, budget management, HR and office administration. They will be responsible for designing and implementing new policies/processes or improving existing ones and ultimately, ensuring our operations run smoothly and that people are happy and productive. The ideal candidate should be a responsible leader, with an analytical mind and a problem solver, with strong communication and interpersonal skills. The selected candidate will report to and work closely with Bellona Europa’s Director.
• Manage the design and implementation of guidelines and governing documents:
o Manage and support the design of administrative, finance, and HR guidelines aligning with the overall organizational strategy in collaboration with the Bellona Foundation COO and ensure sound and timely implementation of these.
o Support senior leadership in designing relevant governing documents for the office.
o Devise a strategy to streamline processes and enhance operational efficiency.
• Organizational Development:
o Support senior leadership in ongoing organizational development projects.
o Contribute insights and strategies to drive transformative change within the organization.
• Digital and office management tools
o Contribute to and implement, together with the global team, the foreseen significant changes in Bellona’s tools and platforms, to facilitate better cross-office collaboration as well as internal process flow.
• Team management:
o Manage employees within the scope of the position, ensuring adherence to policies and procedures.
o Assess employee performance, provide coaching, and offer guidance to maximize productivity.
• Operational coordination:
o Plan and coordinate organizational activities, including meetings, events, and conferences when necessary.
o Oversee smooth operations related to grant and project deliverables.
• Grant management:
o Develop and implement effective grant and project management processes.
o Ensure compliance with grant requirements and deadlines.
o Coordinate with project teams to maximize grant utilization and impact.
o Coordinate fundraising activities when needed.
• Strengthened internal communication:
o Collaborate with internal stakeholders to ensure effective communication and cooperation across the Bellona group.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A team player with leadership skills, to mentor and motivate teams to achieve productivity and engagement.
• The ability to see problems and the vision, know-how and creativity to fix them.
• Excellent organisational and multitasking abilities.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
• Proven and significant experience in a senior operational role, preferably in a non-profit or environmental organization.
• Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing policies and procedures.
• Proven knowledge of HR practices and organizational development. Experience with a past organizational development process is an asset.
• A relevant Master’s degree.
• Good knowledge of financial and performance reporting. Familiarity of NGO funding and grants is considered a plus.
• Fluency in English; knowledge of other EU languages, particularly German, is considered an asset.
• Experience and confidence in working with MS Office.
• Eligible to work and reside in Belgium.
If your know-how matches our requirements, we would like to meet you. You can expect a meaningful and engaging experience, and we hope that the relevant candidate can start as soon as possible. We offer a competitive NGO salary package with complete employee benefits, training budget, continuous internal learning and growing in the role. Bellona promotes a multicultural, flexible, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
How to apply? Please send us your application respecting the following instructions: One PDF document including both your cover letter (1 page max) and your CV (2 pages max). Your PDF file should be named as follows: familyname_name.pdf. Please send your application by email to our HR mailbox email@example.com for the attention of Mr. Jonas Helseth, Director, indicating ‘Deputy Director Operations’ in the subject line. We intend to interview relevant candidates on a rolling basis, thus please send your application as soon as possible. Kindly indicate where you found our vacancy.
We thank you in advance for your application, your time and your interest in this position. Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you receive no feedback within 4 weeks after applying, please consider you have not been selected.
About Bellona Europa: Bellona Europa is an independent, non-profit organisation that meets environmental and climate challenges head on. We are solutions-oriented and have a comprehensive and cross-sectoral approach to assess the economics, climate impacts and technical feasibility of necessary climate actions. To do this, we work with civil society, academia, governments, institutions and industries.