Sandbag is a non-profit think tank which uses data analysis to build evidence-based campaigns on EU climate policy. We focus on policies such as the EU Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS), carbon border adjustment mechanisms (CBAM) and the decarbonisation of heavy industry. We are seeking to strengthen our analytical team to consolidate our knowledge of industrial processes and their decarbonisation technologies. This will involve:
– Researching decarbonisation technologies (hydrogen, carbon capture, storage and utilisation, sector-specific) applied to industry (steelmaking, cement, chemicals);
– Researching drivers of the demand for polluting products and processes (ESG commitments; green market premiums; green finance; procurement policies; industry standards; command/control regulation (e.g. the RED hydrogen mandate);
– Creating relevant analyses (data analysis, writing reports or policy briefs);
– Giving input to panels, meetings with fellow NGOs, policymakers or industry stakeholders.
The candidate will:
• Care passionately about fighting climate change;
• have a science or economics masters degree;
• be highly numerate and comfortable with data analysis;
• be familiar with cost analysis;
• have a knack for finding information, public or private, including through networking;
• be a confident Excel user;
• have good writing skills in English, with precision and attention to detail;
• be able to understand technical material and explain it effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences. The ideal candidate will also have:
• some qualification in physics or chemistry;
• knowledge of manufacturing processes for steel, cement or chemicals;
• knowledge of decarbonisation technologies.
Key information The role is based in Brussels in hybrid format (1 day a week or more), starting 1 January 2024. Application instructions Please apply by sending a covering letter and CV to email@example.com by 12 November 2023. Interviews will take place shortly after.