Strategic Communications and Engagement Manager
Hybrid (within or outside of the UK) with occasional travel to the UK offices
The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) is a policy and action research organisation promoting sustainable development and linking local priorities to global challenges. We are based in London and work on five continents with some of the world’s most vulnerable people to strengthen their voices in the decision-making arenas that affect them. With more than 150 members of staff working with associates and partners around the world, IIED has been at the forefront of evidence-based policymaking in sustainable development for over 50 years.
LIFE-AR is a 10-year initiative to support LDCs (Least Developed Countries) to strengthen their approaches to climate resilience and support learning between countries. Initially, the project will operate closely with a group of six “front-runner countries” who are ready to commit to change and develop, strengthen, and operationalise their own long-term climate resilient and low emission strategies. IIED is the interim secretariat for LIFE-AR and provides support to the Board of LIFE-AR in the implementation of LIFE-AR, and the delivery of the LIFE-AR Strategy.
We are currently seeking a Strategic Communications and Engagement Manager to join our team on a full-time basis for a two year fixed term contract.
– Salary of £52,244 – £64,964 per annum (pro rata)
– 25 days’ annual leave per year, increasing with service (pro rata)
– Closure between Christmas and New Year with additional paid holiday
– 7.5% employer’s pension contributions
– An employee protection scheme offering a flexible menu of benefits
– An interest-free season-ticket loan
– A cycle-to-work scheme offering tax savings on the cost of purchasing a bike for travel to and from work
– An employee assistance programme
– Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption policies
– Enhanced sick pay entitlements, increasing with length of service
– Flexible working options
– Support for learning and development
– Compassionate leave up to ten days per annum
– Dependents leave
– Eye tests and glasses
– Therapy treatment
This is a fantastic opportunity for a communications professional with experience managing multiple projects to join our forward-thinking organisation.
From day one, we’ll make sure your personal and professional wellbeing is taken care of, with a competitive salary, hybrid working options and support for learning and development!
What’s more, you’ll be leading one of our essential teams, ensuring we can continue to improve livelihoods, protect the environment and build a fairer, more sustainable world.
So, if you want to join one of the world’s leading independent policy and action research organisations, then apply today!
As our Strategic Communications and Engagement Manager, you will support the implementation of the LIFE-AR communications and engagement strategy.
Working with the LDC chair, the LIFE-AR partners, the secretariat director and workstream leads, you will assist in packaging LIFE-AR impact, progressing the LIFE-AR asks and offers during national and global events, media work, presentations and other tactics to international stakeholders, including funders.
You will also work with authors and other freelancers to write, edit and manage the delivery of multiple types of content. These will include policy briefings, blogs, news stories, short videos, case studies, promotional and marketing materials, press releases and flagship programme materials.
Additionally, you will:
– Manage all social media channels
– Ensure the LIFE-AR brand and style guide are fit for purpose across all channels
– Connect with front-runner country communications teams to support learning, knowledge and good practice
– Lead in developing a range of LIFE-AR product formats and activities
– Contribute to budgeting processes and fundraising proposals
To be considered as our Strategic Communications and Engagement Manager, you will need:
– Experience as a communications professional or journalist
– Experience of managing multiple projects, timeframes, budgets and delivery dates
– Experience of business relevant software, including digital communications channels
– Experience of managing an institutional and/or project brand
– Experience of co-ordinating and sustaining diverse teams or collaborative networks
– An understanding of how to target audiences through language, formats, tactics and messaging
– An understanding of environmental and sustainable development issues
– An understanding of research and policy material
– An understanding of policy-oriented research and/or advocacy
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– A minimum of a first degree or an equivalent qualification
Please note, this role is also open to those who live outside the UK, as long as you have the right to work in the country you wish to reside in. IIED will support a UK visa for this role if re-location is requested.
The salary range advertised in GBP is applicable in the UK only, and the salary offer in another country would depend on the local terms and conditions. We only use the UK salary structure to determine starting salaries, but it will not apply to salaries outside the UK thereafter.
The closing date for this role is 30th October 2023.
Interviews are scheduled to take place w/c 6th or w/c 13th November 2023.
IIED is a hybrid working organisation and you are likely to be working from home most of the time. As such, you will need a suitable place to work and a reliable, fast internet connection.
Other organisations may call this role Senior Communications Manager, International Communications Manager, Head of Communications, or Engagement and Communications Manager.
Webrecruit and the International Institute for Environment and Development are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re looking to advance your career as a Strategic Communications and Engagement Manager, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.