We investigate and campaign against environmental crime and abuse.
Our undercover investigations expose transnational wildlife crime, with a focus on elephants, pangolins and tigers, and forest crimes such as illegal logging and deforestation for cash crops like palm oil. We work to safeguard global marine ecosystems by addressing the threats posed by plastic pollution, bycatch and commercial exploitation of whales, dolphins and porpoises. Finally, we reduce the impact of climate change by campaigning for rapid reductions in emissions of all greenhouse gases, including methane and fluorinated gases such as HFCs, through developing and enforcing ambitious policies at the UK, EU and international level
This is a full-time position in EIA’s Climate team, focused primarily on EIA’s campaign to reduce methane emissions. The position is open to candidates in the UK or the EU
£34,000 – £37,000 (subject to experience).
Deadline for applications
Sunday 11th February 2024
Main purpose of position:
The Climate Campaigner will play a key role in EIA’s Climate Campaign team, focused on our efforts to significantly reduce methane emissions, the second most important greenhouse gas. The EU has recently agreed a new Regulation to reduce energy sector methane emissions in Europe and in our global supply chains. EIA seeks to ensure early implementation and strengthened effectiveness through strategic measures, with a particular focus on energy imports. Working with a consortium of European NGOs, EIA will also be advocating to ramp up ambition in the EU to address cross-sectoral methane emissions, while catalysing EU leadership in the implementation of the Global Methane Pledge.
The Climate campaigner will work across all areas of the campaign and will be responsible for the day-to-day running of key aspects of the climate campaign including research, writing reports and policy briefings, attending meetings, generating media coverage and contributing to the overall strategy of EIA and the Climate campaign.
• Participate in advocacy, campaigning and research activities;
• Carry out detailed research into scientific, technical and policy aspects of the methane campaign;
• Assist in the production of high-quality campaign materials, such as reports, briefings and videos;
• Contribute to policy positions and submissions to policy makers and other stakeholders;
• Attend relevant EU and international meetings and represent the campaign to a range of contacts, such as politicians, civil society, industry and the media;
• Generate media coverage of the campaign and produce online content as requested, including blogs, press releases and social media;
• Manage network of campaign partners, ensuring regular communications and up-to-date files are maintained;
• Develop and maintain a network of external contacts.
• Monitor and share media and other communications of campaign interest with other staff;
• Ensure contact lists under the Climate campaign are kept up to date and are available to the team;
• Ensure all campaign paperwork and files are organised and accessible;
• Assist/lead with responding to public enquiries;
• Produce back to office reports (BTOR) according to the agreed template;
• Write up notes from meetings and significant telephone calls and circulate to the rest of the team.
Strategic Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation:
• Contribute to the production of the annual climate campaign strategy and participate in EIA’s long-term strategic planning processes;
• Support the implementation of EIA’s climate campaign strategy;
• Contribute to the campaign’s monitoring and evaluation;
• Assist with production of quarterly and annual progress reporting to donors.
Financial Planning, Budget Management and Income Generation:
• Monitor campaign expenditure;
• Produce budgets for all project-related activities prior to expenditure and complete reconciliations, accurately reporting expenditure incurred during trips;
• Assist the Campaign Team Leader and Fundraising Department with campaign fundraising, including the production of reports and proposals for donors as requested.