ResponsibleSteel is a not-for-profit multi-stakeholder membership organisation founded to bring together industry along the steel value chain, civil society and other experts to maximise steel’s contribution to a sustainable future. Through the collaborative development of our international standard, we have built a consensus on what sustainability looks like for steel – including the impacts of mining, production, the scrap metal supply chain, greenhouse gas emissions, water use, workers’ rights, human rights, and biodiversity. Steel sites producing over 110 million tonnes of steel and employing over 160,000 workers are already certified against our Standard, with a large pipeline of sites across the world preparing for audit. We currently have over 150 members, including around 15% of global steel production.
We are now seeking an experienced Standard Manager to ensure our Standard remains clear and applicable to the steel value chain, including review and revision of this Standard, and to develop new Standards to address sectors needs (e.g. Chain of Custody, etc.). This is a pivotal position within ResponsibleSteel and is a great opportunity to work in a rapidly growing organization that is already playing a key strategic role in steel decarbonization and driving up social and environmental practices. It will suit an individual keen to work with multiple stakeholders to drive positive change in a challenging sector by sharing expertise, influencing perspectives and inspiring acon.
At ResponsibleSteel we work in a way that is underpinned by our common values:
Respect: Working together to deliver impact with passion and mutual trust, valuing our time and allowing ourselves the space to reflect, rest and recharge.
Integrity: Saying what we do and do what we say, taking responsibility for our own actions even when no one is looking, learning and growing as we go.
Transparency: Communicating clearly, honestly and openly in a timely manner in all we do
Collaboration: Engaging with those affected, listening to understand, co-creating bold strategies to deliver greater impact.
This is a key position in ResponsibleSteel to ensure that our Standards are following the Standard Development Procedure in several ways, and involving and consulting with a variety of actors to ensure ResponsibleSteel is a thriving multistakeholder Standard development process. In short, the role will be dealing with (not limited to):
– Developing reviews and subsequent revisions to the standard
– Providing guidance to colleagues and members on the standard, including training
– Coordinating the development of new Standards (e.g. Chain of Custody).
The role will report to the Head of Standards and Assurance and will involve close liaison with the Standard and Assurance team, in addition to other areas such as Membership and Communications, Development and Innovation, etc.
Working with a growing team, you will be responsible for overseeing a proper implementation of the Standard Development Procedure for our Standards.
Project management of ResponsibleSteel Standards programme
– Oversight and coordination of planning, preparation, and implementation of standards development activities
– Consistent and accurate implementation of the Standards Development Procedures as well as the documentation and administration of this.
– Stay up to date on trends and issues affecting ResponsibleSteel Standards and bring these to revision processes.
– Updating the Standards Development Procedures ensuring alignment with international codes of good practice, including the ISEAL codes and WTO TBT Annex III requirements for example.
Technical maintenance and development of Standards requirements.
– Respond to stakeholder queries and issues raised in relation to ResponsibleSteel Standards.
– Develop clarifications, interpretations, and urgent revisions to standard including, as appropriate, convening working groups, public consultations and other forms of stakeholder engagement, drafting requirements, feasibility testing, and pursuing approval processes.
– Maintain and expand downstream recognition of ResponsibleSteel Standards.
Board and Committee Reporting
– Prepare updates and motions to the Board and Standards, Assurance, and Claims Committee relating to the standards programme.
– Participate in Board and Committee meetings and respond to input.
– Coordinate with communications team to ensure the consistent communication of standards issues, providing reviews of draft texts where relevant.
– Participate in ResponsibleSteel webinars in relation to standards development.
– Provide materials for updating the website with standards development workplans, consultations, etc.
External events and initiatives:
– Participate in relevant external events to Standards development
– Liaison with and support to external standards development initiatives identified within workplan.
Support to other functions of ResponsibleSteel
– Provide inputs as required to assurance, claims, monitoring and evaluation, communications, external advocacy, membership engagement, digitalization, and other projects.